Skip to main content

Promise

"What's your promise?" I said to my daughter as I peered over her shoulder to look at the promise card she was given. What's a promise?
Something you vow to someone? Evidently I take it for granted that God vows to do something for me at the start of the new year. The fact is He speaks all year round. But He chooses to honour the eagerness and anticipation around this time and I choose to wait at His feet with extra caution. Almost like the little child who tries to avoid being naughty especially around Christmas time. 
It amazes me how the promises of God are always eternal. Take for instance the verse from Genesis 28:15
"Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have spoken to you.”
Genesis 28:15 NKJV
https://bible.com/bible/114/gen.28.15.NKJV
To me, it sounds like a lover's pledge. But the thing is, what has He spoken to me. For one , it is "I am the resurrection and the life." Or "I am your exceeding great reward." May be on a sober note, "Blessed are you when men shall revile and persecute you for my sake for great is your reward in heaven”
This is One true blessing that came from the mouth of God Himself. I wonder how gladly I accept it! Well, the disciples did for certain: when they had been beaten for preaching Jesus, they went back “rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for His name.”
This is a revelation who God is and what it means to be His! Earlier on we are told, when they were just warned and let go, they were afraid and they prayed about it. This rejoicing, therefore is surely not humanly possible. No wonder Paul says the message of the cross seems foolish to many. But this is the promise. The apostles got it right as we hear Stephen speaking to his accusers, “But when the time of the promise drew near which God had sworn to Abraham, the people grew and multiplied in Egypt till another king arose who did not know Joseph. This man dealt treacherously with our people, and oppressed our forefathers, making them expose their babies, so that they might not live.”
‭‭Acts‬ ‭7:17-19‬ ‭NKJV‬‬
http://bible.com/114/act.7.17-19.nkjv
I might just not understand why when the time of promise drew near and the people multiplied greatly, they did not become the super power and rule the world. But God’s promise is a true lover’s pledge. It comes to pass and stands firm during the toughest of times.
 He clearly tells me what to expect- an abundant life with Him in the midst of death, hatred, dirty politics and confusion. He clearly shows me why I shall never lose hope. He is the one who has given His word to make me into what He wants me to be- as much as I allow Him. And I intend to wholly submit.
And this is why I am waiting eagerly for another promise, another revelation about this love this everlasting love that my Saviour has for me! Happy NewYear!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grin

 In the lake at Capernaum lived Grin, a fish with an unusually big mouth. It seemed as though someone had placed an invisible magnifying glass there and had forgotten about it.  When Grin was a small fry, he tried his best to be liked. Only his ways of 'helping' were not received well by the general public in the school. He was quite confident and thought himself smart until his successive attempts at helping others failed miserably.  Once he was caught helping his cousin identify edible worms in the water. Thankfully, just as Ken was about to close his mouth over the juicy worm aunt Saille furiously pushed him away from the hook, giving Grin an ear-full. That was the end of his life as the 'smart-assistant of the shoal' and the start of his 'lonely and loathsome' phase of life, trailing behind travelling alone in the shoal. Usually, his thoughts circled around, "why am I even a fish? Life would've been easier as a turtle." Of course, through all t

The Gen 24 Camel

 Have you heard of Isaac?  No? You can read about him in Genesis. That's where I am from. I am the Genesis 24 camel. I must have been born way before Genesis 24. But who records these things? Anyway, let's get to the point. I am a well-fed camel. I have been around. Kind of always travelled with treasures, you know. My master's father is the great old man Abraham. One day he called the grumpy old Eleazar and asked him to get a bride for my master. Oh bother! The fuss he made...  The day came and we set out. I was waiting for my turn. He loaded up Block with the food and water for the journey. Then it was Ben. What amounts of gold... Man you should see it to believe it. Okay then it was the clothes. You guys may not believe it, but back then clothes were a luxury. People killed to get clothes... I am not kidding. And here was my fellow Ben being given a load of that carry on his back. So I watched as spices and other things kept piling up. I am Isaac's favourite camel an

The Encounter

 Don't look at me!  I am just a sparrow up a tree.  I am not even fit for a sacrifice. It is reserved for those pigeons and doves. I am no good.  Just leave me alone.  Can't you see, I am trying to hide?  Rattle snakes are pretty common out here. Who knows?  You might just be one- pretending to be all human. And your being human is no relief to me. If Solo could make the passer -by understand, he would have chirped out the whole thing in under five seconds albeit hidden. But he was too scared to make a sound. All of this monologue was running in his head as the casual commoner strode along after a moment's rest under his tree.  That night he had a nightmare. In it, he fell off the tree into a man's hands. He got up with a cold shiver having come so close to feeling dead. For the next several hours, even after the sun had risen brilliantly, he didn't feel like leaving the nest. Hunger forgotten, he imagined the worst.  "Solo, you coward, shake off the fear. You