Skip to main content

Jesus Raises Lazarus from the Dead

It is amazing how the truth of God's word can lift one's spirit in a moment. Only this morning I found myself struggling to get rid of a few thoughts. I took out my mobile bible and read it aloud (not quite) in a bus. As I finished, I asked in a typical sound of music fashion " why am I not feeling better?" 

Getting oneself busy into the daily humdrum of life creates an illusion of not being right under the very nose of God and so I began to go about 'my' business with a vengeance that resulted in a headache after an hour of mindless games on the iPad. Left with nothing to do, I went back to what I had been reading through out the week - Jesus raises Lazarus from the dead.

After several unsuccessful attempts at getting the big picture, I was about to resolve myself to this one truth: this was the ultimate sign for the Jews and the disciples as Jesus' hour drew near. It would turn the hearts of those on the fence and incriminate those plotting against Him. Profound- I said to myself but not quite there. It hadn't spoken to me and I was going to give up. But just like that, something felt clear as I thought of groups here. So long, Jesus healed or restored to individuals. Here He was on the job of healing and restoring a family and through them a nation and quite soon it would be the world. And yes what I had been missing...

 Very often I had found it difficult to digest that Jesus could love me and love the one who slighted me and thought me of less value. O I preferred " He who touches you touches the apple of my eye"- Lord -my -defense- kind of verses. I am even tempted to think that while I go about smiling and being nice, crying in secret, lamenting how bad I felt etc, God would go about avenging me and settling my scores - in a way that would make them think twice before saying anything to me thereafter. Here I was face to face with three people from a family each of whom Jesus loved equally. They in turn showed their affection for Him in different but unique ways.

 One, was so close that the sisters sent word saying " the one you love is sick" He even got his name mentioned in one of Jesus' parables while all other characters in all other parables remain nameless. All I know about him is that he was four days dead before Jesus brought him back to life and the had dinner with Jesus afterwards.

 About Martha, the responsible, alert and very much -unlike -me- sister: It seems she was practical in that it is mentioned elsewhere that she thought her sister was moonlighting as she sat at the feet of Jesus and couldn't care less if dinner was not done for the special guest at home who happened to be God Himself. But what Jesus told her has been my soothing balm for every badly cooked meal. I spy Martha in the corner of my kitchen sometimes. You should have planned ahead, checked for every ingredient, and made sure you worked in an immaculate kitchen. Wash soon as you place the vessel in the sink. You wouldn't have to put up with mess. Be a little alert and the milk won't spill. Everything about you is a mess. Just look at other women... Well my imaginary Martha can be very vocal.

 But Jesus' conversation with Martha alone gets mentioned in the bible although both sisters say the exact same thing to Him. It seems Jesus does not have a tailored answer even for exact questions (- addressed the questioner and not the question?) He saw Mary weeping and those with her. Did Martha not cry when she met Jesus? But sometimes the answer Himself was silent and He wept. Awestruck by the sheer power resonating through my very being in Jesus' "I am the resurrection and the life", I can picture the voice of Jesus penetrating Hades as its inhabitant made a hurried exit after the author of life had spoken.

 However I am intrigued by Mary in the next chapter, where she breaks the bottle of pure nard and pours it out on Jesus' feet and wipes it with her hair. Why doesn't Jesus say anything to Mary? In stead He defends her against accusers a second time. If I were raised up from the dead or given a life giving promise would it even come close to this that Mary could treasure all her life? Martha ran to Jesus, Lazarus supped with Jesus, but God stood up for Mary - as she gave herself to Him. He loved all three of them equally. But the experience that I would treasure is the kind that Mary had. Suits with my apple of His eye temperament. Well what can I say my thoughts did not change dramatically neither did I receive a made my day promise. But just like that I happened to go a little further, and received a treasure that I intend to keep buried deep inside my heart. "Jesus loves me this I know."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grin

 In the lake at Capernaum lived Grin, a fish with an unusually big mouth. It seemed as though someone had placed an invisible magnifying glass there and had forgotten about it.  When Grin was a small fry, he tried his best to be liked. Only his ways of 'helping' were not received well by the general public in the school. He was quite confident and thought himself smart until his successive attempts at helping others failed miserably.  Once he was caught helping his cousin identify edible worms in the water. Thankfully, just as Ken was about to close his mouth over the juicy worm aunt Saille furiously pushed him away from the hook, giving Grin an ear-full. That was the end of his life as the 'smart-assistant of the shoal' and the start of his 'lonely and loathsome' phase of life, trailing behind travelling alone in the shoal. Usually, his thoughts circled around, "why am I even a fish? Life would've been easier as a turtle." Of course, through all t

The Encounter

 Don't look at me!  I am just a sparrow up a tree.  I am not even fit for a sacrifice. It is reserved for those pigeons and doves. I am no good.  Just leave me alone.  Can't you see, I am trying to hide?  Rattle snakes are pretty common out here. Who knows?  You might just be one- pretending to be all human. And your being human is no relief to me. If Solo could make the passer -by understand, he would have chirped out the whole thing in under five seconds albeit hidden. But he was too scared to make a sound. All of this monologue was running in his head as the casual commoner strode along after a moment's rest under his tree.  That night he had a nightmare. In it, he fell off the tree into a man's hands. He got up with a cold shiver having come so close to feeling dead. For the next several hours, even after the sun had risen brilliantly, he didn't feel like leaving the nest. Hunger forgotten, he imagined the worst.  "Solo, you coward, shake off the fear. You