Skip to main content

Message before the cross

Jesus washes the disciples' feet:

It began with a demonstration that made no sense to the participants. There was their Lord and Master - claimed and acknowledged as the Son of God, taking off His outer garment and becoming a slave. This was right after they all had heard the  acknowledgement from heaven. Here, I am thinking of all those moments that I felt self-important: Answered prayers, well thought out responses to difficult questions, leading worship, praying for people...
All of those times when I thought how wronged I was. All the hurts and intended meanings that I cried out to God about, together with those times when God dealt with some painful truths about my attitude to people lead up to this question:

"Do you understand what I have done for you?"
Bewildered as His audience were, I ask myself is this just about the humility of Christ? Thank fully, the Lord, explains Himself:

"Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. 
I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. 
Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a  messenger greater than the one who sent him. 
Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them. "
It seems to me, the first part of the commandment is easy if taken at its face value: a bunch of christians gather together, each wash the other's feet and it is done. But, quietly and rather heavily, I am reminded of a lover at the door of His beloved's house wooing her to open the door, yet she complains of not wanting to make her feet dirty: " I have washed my feet- must I soil them again?" this thought brings home to me the response that Jesus gives Peter:
“Unless I wash you, you have no part with me.”
John 13:8 NIV
I cannot depend on my quick fix night cap prayers: "Lord please forgive me for all the wrong I have done today, knowingly and unknowingly-Amen!"
Allowing the saviour to wash my feet is to open up and let him get down to the depths of my sin and cleanse me thoroughly. And He expects me to do the same thing when I say, I forgive a brother or a sister in Christ. If He my Lord and Master is willing to do that, I should have no reservations.

Would I walk through the dirty path to meet my Serenading Saviour just to let Him lead me into perfection like His? Would I just put up my feet and hang up my shoes and say, enough of the life of walking through dirt... Oh yes! Feet do get dirty even when you do His bidding, here in this life. But His cleansing awaits.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Grin

 In the lake at Capernaum lived Grin, a fish with an unusually big mouth. It seemed as though someone had placed an invisible magnifying glass there and had forgotten about it.  When Grin was a small fry, he tried his best to be liked. Only his ways of 'helping' were not received well by the general public in the school. He was quite confident and thought himself smart until his successive attempts at helping others failed miserably.  Once he was caught helping his cousin identify edible worms in the water. Thankfully, just as Ken was about to close his mouth over the juicy worm aunt Saille furiously pushed him away from the hook, giving Grin an ear-full. That was the end of his life as the 'smart-assistant of the shoal' and the start of his 'lonely and loathsome' phase of life, trailing behind travelling alone in the shoal. Usually, his thoughts circled around, "why am I even a fish? Life would've been easier as a turtle." Of course, through all t

The Gen 24 Camel

 Have you heard of Isaac?  No? You can read about him in Genesis. That's where I am from. I am the Genesis 24 camel. I must have been born way before Genesis 24. But who records these things? Anyway, let's get to the point. I am a well-fed camel. I have been around. Kind of always travelled with treasures, you know. My master's father is the great old man Abraham. One day he called the grumpy old Eleazar and asked him to get a bride for my master. Oh bother! The fuss he made...  The day came and we set out. I was waiting for my turn. He loaded up Block with the food and water for the journey. Then it was Ben. What amounts of gold... Man you should see it to believe it. Okay then it was the clothes. You guys may not believe it, but back then clothes were a luxury. People killed to get clothes... I am not kidding. And here was my fellow Ben being given a load of that carry on his back. So I watched as spices and other things kept piling up. I am Isaac's favourite camel an

The Encounter

 Don't look at me!  I am just a sparrow up a tree.  I am not even fit for a sacrifice. It is reserved for those pigeons and doves. I am no good.  Just leave me alone.  Can't you see, I am trying to hide?  Rattle snakes are pretty common out here. Who knows?  You might just be one- pretending to be all human. And your being human is no relief to me. If Solo could make the passer -by understand, he would have chirped out the whole thing in under five seconds albeit hidden. But he was too scared to make a sound. All of this monologue was running in his head as the casual commoner strode along after a moment's rest under his tree.  That night he had a nightmare. In it, he fell off the tree into a man's hands. He got up with a cold shiver having come so close to feeling dead. For the next several hours, even after the sun had risen brilliantly, he didn't feel like leaving the nest. Hunger forgotten, he imagined the worst.  "Solo, you coward, shake off the fear. You